Mississippi Flag Mississippi History and Genealogy
MS AHGP
AHGP Project Page

 

 

Chickasaw County Mississippi

Prairie Mount18 The town of Prairie Mount was situated on the edge of the prairie in the northeastern part of Chickasaw county. It was on the public road leading from Okolona to Pontotoc, and about five miles north of the former place. Prairie Mount was founded by Littleburry Gilliam, an enterprising farmer, who removed from Franklin County, Alabama, and settled there about 1836. He became one of the members of the first board of police of Chickasaw County and aided in its organization. The little village was named by him in 1836. His residence was opened to the public as a wayside inn for the accommodation of travelers seeking land investments from all that part of the Tombigbee river country south of Pontotoc. There was soon established two small dry goods stores, a grog shop, a blacksmith shop, and a wagon repair shop, but the place was not incorporated until 1852. About the time of the permanent location of the survey of the Mobile and Ohio railroad, the beginning of the present town of Okolona was made by the erection of one or two farm residences and a saloon. It soon began to grow into a trade center for that part of the county which had hitherto contributed to the growth of Prairie Mount. At the close of the War Between the States Prairie Mount became extinct. The site of this once prosperous town is now part of a farm.

Pikesville. The village of Pikesville was once the center of trade of what is now known as the Egypt Prairie. It was situated on the east bank of Chickataunckcha River and at the east end of the old turnpike, still kept up on the main road leading from Houston to Aberdeen. It was settled about 1842, and was the only town south of Prairie Mount in the eastern part of Chickasaw county. Its situation on the adjacent sandy land belts between the Egypt and Buena Vista skirts of prairie tended to make it the resort of business adventurers and pleasure seekers, as well as the trade center of the pioneer wealthy settlers around Aberdeen, consequently it at once became a village of culture, progress, and refinement. The Pikesville tannery and shoe factory was established by R. G. Steel, a thrifty and enterprising Alabamian. Soon afterwards several mercantile firms began business there. To these were added a quart liquor saloon with a sign "Cakes and Beer for Sale." Thus the town grew and was without a rival until about 1857, when its trade began to drift to Buena Vista on the Houston and Aberdeen road, and to Egypt Station, on the Mobile and Ohio railroad. The site of this old place is now a cultivated field. Its name is still perpetuated, however, by a post office which is one mile east of the old town.

Extinct Towns| AHGP Mississippi

Footnotes:
18. The sketches of the extinct towns of Chickasaw County are based upon information which was kindly furnished the writer by Wm. S. Bates, Esq. of Houston, Mississippi.

Source: The Mississippi Historical Commission Publications, Volume V, Edited by Franklin L. Riley,
Secretary, 1902.

 

Please Come back Soon!!

 

This page was last updated Friday, 26-Dec-2014 22:28:08 EST

© July ©2012 - 2017 C. W. Barnum & J. J. White 

The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.


Hosted Free