Mississippi Flag Mississippi History and Genealogy
MS AHGP
AHGP Project Page

 

 

Kemper County Mississippi

Wahalak47 The old town of Wahalak was situated on Wahalak creek, a branch of the Noxubee River, eight miles south of the station of the same name on the Mobile and Ohio railroad. It was laid off by Victor Welsh in 1837. The name of the first mercantile firm that did business at this place was Loomis Brothers. The town soon had three churches and two flourishing schools, one for girls and one for boys. It had two physicians for a number of years. There were at this place at one time several business enterprises, among which was a bank with a very remarkable business record for the times." Unlike most of the early towns of Mississippi, Wahalak had no grog shops during its entire history.

When this place began to wane as an educational center, its business enterprises also declined. The building of the Mobile and Ohio railroad, which went only a few miles to the west of Wahalak, completed its destruction.

Extinct Towns| AHGP Mississippi

Footnotes:
47. The writer will give only a brief outline of the history of Wahalak, as a very interesting and complete sketch of this place appears in this volume of the Publications under the title, "Recollections of Pioneer Life in Mississippi," by Miss Mary J. Welsh of Shuqualak, Mississippi.

Source: The Mississippi Historical Commission Publications, Volume V, Edited by Franklin L. Riley,
Secretary, 1902.

 

Please Come back Soon!!

 

This page was last updated Friday, 26-Dec-2014 22:28:13 EST

© July ©2012 - 2017 C. W. Barnum & J. J. White 

The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.


Hosted Free