Mississippi Flag Mississippi History and Genealogy
MS AHGP
AHGP Project Page

 

 

Oktibbeha County Mississippi

Whitefield60 The town of Whitefield was situated seventeen miles west of Starkville and two and a quarter miles from the Choctaw County line. A man by the name of Smith owned the land upon which it was built, and erected the first house in the place in 1854. At the time of its greatest prosperity it contained several business houses. Most of its merchants lived at a distance of more than a mile from their places of business. Among its most prominent citizens were: Dr. John Barron, Dr. W. W. Edwards, J. M. Cain, _____ Tumlinson, and _____ Carpenter.

 Some of the most prominent business firms were: Barron & Neal, Hannah & Company, Hunt Brothers, and Walker Brothers. The decay of this place was caused by the completion of a branch of the Illinois Central railroad through Oktibbeha County and the location of a station at Sturges, three-quarters of a mile south.

Folsom61 The town of Folsom was situated on the old Robinson road. The place was named in honor of the Choctaw chief, David Folsom, who once lived there. At one time it was laid into lots, a large number of which were sold. Several houses were built here in the short time during which the place flourished. After a few months the "boom" collapsed.

Extinct Towns| AHGP Mississippi

Footnotes:
60. This sketch is based upon information derived from Mr. B. S. Carlisle, of Sturges, Mississippi.
61. This sketch is based upon information derived from Mr. H. S. Halbert, of Lucile, Mississippi.

Source: The Mississippi Historical Commission Publications, Volume V, Edited by Franklin L. Riley,
Secretary, 1902.

 

Please Come back Soon!!

 

This page was last updated Friday, 26-Dec-2014 22:28:16 EST

© July ©2012 - 2017 C. W. Barnum & J. J. White 

The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.


Hosted Free