Mississippi Flag Mississippi History and Genealogy
MS AHGP
AHGP Project Page

 

 

Prentiss County Mississippi

Carrollville65 The village of Carrollville was founded in 1834. It was once a place of considerable importance, being a trade center for the southeastern portion of old Tishomingo County. It was situated on the old Tuscumbia and Pontotoc road, sixty-five miles from the former and thirty-five miles from the latter place.

Among the early settlers of Carrollville was Wylie Belsher, who kept the first tavern; Jack Thompson, Joe Galling, and the Holcombe Brothers, merchants; George Wilburn, the saloonkeeper; and William Gates, the "village blacksmith." In 1836 R. B. Clayton took charge of the village tavern. In 1838 Guilford Stocks and A. I. Taylor, and in 1840 D. M. Allen and Robert Traylor settled near the village. The surrounding country was soon thickly settled by an intelligent class of people from Virginia, Georgia, and Alabama. In the decade from 1840 to 1850, which was the period of greatest prosperity in the history of this place, it had five drygoods stores, belonging to the Robinson Brothers, Clayton & Walker, Robert Lowry, James Robinson, and T. B. Stubbs & Brother. Three saddlers' shops were then operated by W. H. H. Tison, William Smith, and P. Langley; two shoe shops by William Waldrow, and John Outlaw; two blacksmith shops by William Waldon and John Rogers; two tailoring establishments by Moffitt and Carpenter; a tan-yard by Sam McCarley; a mill and gin by Sprightly Williams. The medical profession was represented by Drs. Burton, Boothe, Scruggs, Long and Smythe. There was one church house in Carrollville in which all denominations worshipped. It was also used as a school building and as a Masonic hall, where the Blue Lodge, No. 108. Royal Arch Chapter, No. 57, held its sessions.

In the early history of Carrollville all cotton was hauled to Memphis, Tennessee, by wagons, a distance of one hundred and ten miles, and all freight and goods were brought from that city in the same way. In later years shipments were made to and from Eastport, on the Tennessee River, forty-eight miles distant. When the Mobile and Ohio railroad was completed as far as Baldwyn (1860), two miles away, the village of Carrollville rapidly declined, all business men moved away the former place absorbing most of its business and its population. The Hon. Wm. M. Cox, who is at present a member of the Legislature from Prentiss County, now lives on the old site of Carrollville. Among some of the noted residents of this place were the father of Ex-Governor Lowry, Hon. John M. Allen (who was born and reared in the village); W. H. H. Tison, member of the Legislature and Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Extinct Towns| AHGP Mississippi

Footnotes:
65. This sketch is based upon information derived from Mr. Thomas G. Stocks, of Baldwin, Mississippi, whose mother removed to Carrollville in 1838, and is now living in Baldwyn, Mississippi.

Source: The Mississippi Historical Commission Publications, Volume V, Edited by Franklin L. Riley,
Secretary, 1902.

 

Please Come back Soon!!

 

This page was last updated Friday, 26-Dec-2014 22:28:17 EST

© July ©2012 - 2017 C. W. Barnum & J. J. White 

The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.


Hosted Free